Tovolo Care & Use
1) What is silicone?
Silicone is a natural material, the density higher than the average plastic, is a non-ordinary plastic. Silicone does not contain toxic substances harmful to humans, and can withstand extremely high temperatures.
It's important to note that all types of silicone are not the same and top temperature ratings may vary depending on the quality and manufacturer.
Tovolo use the highest grade of silicone materials which withstand very high temperatures up to * 315 °C/600 °F (Except for Nylon Flex Turners at 204 °C/400 °F ) without deformation of the shape or damage to the pan and are BPA Free, Food Safe and Dishwasher Safe.
While most Tovolo products are BPA free, there are a few products that are made with Polycarbonate which can contain BPA. Products that are BPA free have a BPA FREE icon listed next to them in the product information section on our website and catalog. None of our products contain Phthalates or PVC.
2) Is Silicone Bakeware/Cookware safe?
Tovolo silicone products are produced with FDA-Approved raw materials and comply with the FDA Regulations concerning plastic and non-plastic materials intended to come in contact with food. It is absolutely harmless to human body.
Silicone is a safer alternative to non-stick cookware treated with PFOA. Silicone doesn’t react with food or liquids, and doesn’t offgas chemical fume especially compared to the hazards of aluminum and the many safety issues surrounding Teflon.
3) Benefits of Silicone Bakeware/Cookware
- Pans heat quickly and bake evenly with no burnt or dark edges or bottom.
- Removal from pans is super easy - a slight twist or gently pulling on the sides and roll out your baking.
- They're freezer, refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher and oven safe.
- Bake, store, freeze and reheat right in the pans.
- No rusting or staining.
- No need to alter your batter or temperature - bake as usual.
- Cleanup is a breeze and storing is easy, although they do not easily nest, no special attention is required and they retain their shape.
4) There are many silicone products brand in the market, which one to buy?
Ensure the silicone goods you buy made from properly certified food-grade silicone with approval from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or similar body. Be careful with some of the cheap imported goods.
Avoid silicone bakeware/cookware that has plastic fillers added to the mixture. These fillers are added to reduce the cost, but they are poor quality. Silicone bakeware/cookware made with additives can crack easily and may have a much-reduced less resistance than the certified pure silicone bake ware. Stated maximum temperatures lower than 220 degrees C or 428 degrees F, are sure signs the silicone has fillers added. The fillers an taint the food if heated to high temperature.
Check the manufacture’s heat resistant rating level to withstand maximum high temperature.
Check if the silicone bakeware/cookware is safe for use in microwaves and dishwashers and can be used to store foods in the refrigerator and freezer.
5) Why the average price for silicone bakeware/kitchenware is high compare with plastic products?
- Silicone bakeware/cookware offers nonstick convenience and it also cools quickly.
- It won't corrode, scratch, dent or peel and most of the products are oven safe, microwave safe, freezer safe, dishwasher safe & withstand very high temperature, therefore the quality and price can not be used to compare with other plastic products.
6) Care and Use of Silicone Bakeware/Cookware?
- Like anything else, wash your spatula, mat or mold etc.… before using. A gentle liquid cleaner and sponge or wash rag is enough. Rough cleansers and sponges are not necessary based on its non-stick quality. Most are also dishwasher safe as well, so running them through a cycle with other products is fine.
- After baking or cooking, it is recommended that the customer soak the silicone cookware/bakeware into hot water or added with a few drops of lemon juice. This may take away any smells or flavor left on the bake ware. After rinsing and washing, the piece of new cookware can be left air dry.
- If you store your silicone trays/molds in the freezer, after some time it may develop a persistent white surface film, this is normal - basically the residue is associated with the chemicals in hard water. Like a mineral deposit. Simply dilute some vinegar and water and soak the trays/molds in this for about 20 minutes, rinse them and you should be ready to go.
- Do not use rough sponge to scrub when washing and do not use abrasive cleaners.
Before Using Silicone Bakeware/Cookware
- This is by far the most important because it will give you guidance for every other step. Although silicone bakeware/cookware can withstand high temperatures, not all are of the same level. Important information will also include instructions on preparing the bakeware/cookware and whether or not it has fillers or FDA approval. Always follow your silicone bakeware/cookware instructions.
- Do not use on direct contact with flame and on stovetop burners.
Always use baking mat on oven trays and never use baking mat on the floor of your oven - they are not suitable due to oven floor direct temperature (far higher than internal air temperature). If there is an element in the base, it will burn!
- Never cut your bakeware or cut on it. Introducing this will compromise the integrity of your bakeware.
- Apply a thin layer of oil (or use a non-stick spray) to condition the surface of the pan, when making cakes (not required for bread / pastry) Wipe out any excess. Moulds always need greasing / flouring if sugar content is higher than the fat content in your recipe. If it's lower - you shouldn't need to bother
- Use a tray when baking with silicone pans/molds.
Silicone replaces the need to use Teflon aluminum or other forms of bakeware, one of the main advantages can become a disadvantage…. its flexibility. The flexibility of silicone becomes a hazard when baking in molds because placing them in the oven can become tricky.
Always sit your silicon pan or mold on a tray to helps to provide some stability and lessens the chances of the pan/mold bending and baking unevenly.
Have fun cooking baking !
Should you need any further enquires,email us at